Pallet delivery is an excellent way to ensure your business delivers the goods. Pallets are sturdy, stable platforms on which a huge range of items can be shipped from fresh produce to motor parts. A good courier can help keep business flowing with services like same-day pick so you can deliver on your promise to customers. At National Pallets we help advise you on the best practices when it comes to shipping your goods across the UK and Europe. Before you begin here are a few useful tips on the dos and don’ts of successful pallet delivery combined with the services that make us a stand-out courier.
Packing - DOS
- Maximise space. Be sure to pack as much as you can onto your pallet. Doing so will save you time and money. The goal here is fewer supply trucks and fewer shipping rounds.
- Pack big and bulky items bottom-first. Good weight distribution is everything when it comes to keeping the goods on the pallet where they belong.
- Use ratchet straps to fasten large or oddly shaped articles such as engine parts or camping equipment.
- Plastic shrink wrap is better at securing boxes. When it comes to the transport of fresh produce, the plastic film keeps refrigerated air trapped for longer.
Packing - DON'TS
- Leave no gaps. In order to maximise on space, make sure there are no spaces between boxes. Pack like a puzzle, the less wiggle room, the less your boxes are likely to slide.
- Don’t allow items to overhang the edges of the pallet as they can get damaged
Same-day pick up - DOS
- Be an enterprise, our pick-up service is uniquely designed for business. Same-day pick up can be especially useful for a small to medium-sized business shipping to an Amazon Fulfillment warehouse on a regular basis.
- Make sure our trucks can access your road - small roads may be too narrow. If a trash truck passes by your front door chances are the road is wide enough.
- If you are unsure leave a note on the instructions.
- Have your items ready and palletized if possible. With goods packed right and ready to go our drivers can get deliveries underway in a timely manner
- Weigh your goods - the tail lift on a truck can lift a maximum load of 1000 kg.
Same-day pick up - DON’TS
- If your business is only accessible from a gravel driveway we cannot collect your pallet. A loaded pump truck won’t move over the uneven terrain.
- Although we mentioned this before, don’t leave the driver waiting while you pack. Have everything ready to go an hour or more before your scheduled pick up.
- Don’t forget to mention any special circumstances that may be of importance to the driver, or the nature of delivery. With good communication, we can help ensure the best delivery service possible.
Pallets - DOS
- Read up on pallet sizes. It is very important you know the difference in pallet sizes in order to not overpay, and for our drivers to know what will be loaded on to the truck.
- If you plan on shipping engines and or gearboxes be sure all liquids are drained properly in advance.
- Use ratchet straps to secure engine parts to the pallet.
Pallets - DON’TS
- Don’t worry, if you don’t have your own pallet we can supply one with the driver for a minimal fee of £12.50 plus VAT.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to inform us you need a pallet.
- Don’t use rotten pallets. If you’ll be utilizing your own pallets, inspect them before use, and be sure they are sturdy. Wooden pallets can suffer water damage causing rot at the base, while plastic pallets might get chipped or damaged during transit. This can lead to goods falling off and getting damaged or destroyed.
Collection - DOS
- Be ready, collections can be made anytime between 9AM and 5PM.
- When placing an order, be sure to include complete addresses and telephone numbers for both pick-up location and destination.
- Know the dimensions of the item or items you wish to ship and an approximate weight.
Collection - DON’TS
- Don’t be late. This point cannot be emphasised enough. Commercial vehicles are expensive to operate. Tardiness will result in a surcharge of £20.00 plus VAT.
To summarize, read up and be prepared. Know what pallet size you will be needing and pack accordingly. Pack tightly to optimise value and secure tightly to ensure safe delivery throughout transit. There is a weight limit and when shipping engine parts or gearboxes be sure liquids are drained. Don’t leave your driver waiting. Your business should be easily accessible for a commercial truck.
If you need additional advice or have any concerns we are here to help, Monday to Friday. We will be happy to advice you wherever possible so please feel free to contact us.